You might are a master of choosing and applying foundation, or you are a master of bronzing technique. But, are you an expert in applying eyeshadow perfectly? Do you know that the wrong selection or application of eyeshadow can ruin your makeup look?
No doubt there are thousands of shades available to choose from and hundreds of ways to apply eyeshadow, but from where do you start?
No need to stress at all! Makeup is all about fun and experimenting. Eyeshadow is one such makeup tool that allows you to express your unique beauty. Using eyeshadow means having great fun with colors, placement, and textures. With the right combination, you can never go wrong.
The best part about makeup is that not a single product application is permanent. If you don’t like anything or something that does not go as you wanted, simply wash it off and apply it again.
Now, if you want to learn how to apply eyeshadow like a pro, we are here to help you. Always keep in mind that makeup does not have any rules. There are some tricks that can help you get things done in your way.
How To Apply EyeShadow Like A Pro
- What You Need
- Steps Of Applying Eyeshadow
- Steps To Apply Eyeshadow For Small Eyes
- Steps To Apply Eyeshadow For Large Eyes
- Steps To Apply Eyeshadow For Wide-set Eyes
- Steps To Apply Eyeshadow For Close-set Eyes
What You Need:
To get perfect eye makeup and to learn how to apply eyeshadow perfectly, you require these things.
- Eyeshadow primer
- A nude eyeshadow
- Brown eyeshadow
- Burgundy or any dark eyeshadow
- Fluffy eyeshadow brush
- False eyelashes
- Brown eyeliner
Steps Of Applying Eyeshadow:
Go through this step-by-step guide and learn how to apply eyeshadow like a pro.
First of all, you have to select the eyeshadow palette. Having a palette with a wide range of shades from light to dark enables you to pick the right shades of eyeshadow for your eye makeup. Getting the perfect shades makes you get the perfect eye color.
Apply Eyeshadow Primer
Just like you apply makeup on your face, you have to start applying eyeshadow after creating a fresh and clean base. For this, you require applying an eyeshadow primer to your eyelids. When it is about how to apply eyeshadow like a pro, prepping your lids is very important to enable your eye make to stay in place. Moreover, it also helps in lasting your makeup through the day.
Don’t you have an eyeshadow primer? No issue. Simply apply a concealer followed by some translucent powder. It will make your own eye makeup primer.
Apply A Nude Base
Now, apply a nude eyeshadow using a fluffy eyeshadow brush to blend eyeshadow completely with the base. This is an important step that must not be missed as it helps in increasing the longevity and intensity of the eyeshadow you will use to get the perfect look.
Enhance The Crease
Now, take a brown-toned eyeshadow and apply it to your crease using a brush. Also, add this color to your lower lash, but in a small amount. Then, blend it well both inward and towards the outer corners. If you want to outline your eyes at the crease, make sure to use a darker shade of eyeshadow.
Add Some Color
Now, it’s time to apply another color of eyeshadow. Like here, we are using a dark burgundy eyeshadow. You can use any other dark color. Apply this color, focusing more on the outer corners. For some smokey effect, you can extend it gently on the crease.
Now, you have to use the same color on the lower lash. The fluffy eyeshadow brush helps in smoking out the color along with blending it beautifully.
Create A Gradient
Now, it’s time to create a gradient. For this, you have to apply the nude eyeshadow (we have used in Step 3) to the eyelids. Apply a little of this nude eyeshadow in order to blend the edges of the burgundy eyeshadow. It helps in giving a softer effect.
Here, using a nude eyeshadow for creating a gradient is the best way to make your eyeshadow look well blended and clean.
Define Lower Lashline
As here we are using brown eyeshadow, you can define your lower lashline by applying brown eyeliner to it. Don’t forget to smudge it properly to get that gorgeous smokey effect.
Use False Eyelashes
Want to get a more glamorous effect? Adding a pair of false eyelashes can do this. After this, apply mascara on your lower lashes. It will help in balancing the top and bottom eyelashes.
Once you are done with how to apply eyeshadow, finish off your remaining makeup, like doing base, adding bronzer, highlighter, etc. But, don’t miss using a nude or light lip color to complete the look.
Now, you are looking stunning, right? This is a simple and easier eyeshadow application technique that goes perfectly with all kinds of looks. But, what type of eye shape, crease, or eyebrows you have, plays a great role in the right application of light and dark eyeshadow.
Let’s learn about how to apply eyeshadow like a pro for different eye shapes.
Steps To Apply Eyeshadow For Small Eyes:
If you are a woman with small eyes, then the primary goal of applying eyeshadow is to create an illusion of having large and wide eyes. So, here are the steps to follow for how to apply eyeshadow for small eyes.
- When you have small eyes, you must focus on using light shades of eyeshadow instead of dark shades. It is so because light shades help in opening the area up.
- Take any light shade of your choice and apply it all over your entire eyelid as well as to the brow bone area. This light shade can also be applied to the inner corner of the eyes as it will work to open that area up.
- Indeed, if you avoid contouring your eyes, you will keep them from looking too small. But, if you contour your eyes, make sure not to use a lot of dark eyeshadow on your eyelid as it will make them look smaller.
- If you want to apply a dark shade of eyeshadow, apply them to the outer section of your crease and outer corner of the lid. Make sure this dark shade should be used on the far outer corners only.
Some Make Tips For Small Eyes
- Never use dark eyeliner in your waterline area, as it will make your eyes look smaller.
- If you want to use eyeliner, keep it a thin line. For this, you can use thin-tipped eyeliner for both lower and upper lashlines.
- Make sure to curl your eyelashes to give an illusion of large eyes, and then apply some lengthening mascara.
- Never apply full eyeliner on upper and bottom lash lines, as it will close the area and make your eyes appear even smaller.
- For making your eyes look wide, you can apply eyeliner to the outer half or one-third of the upper lash line and extend it to the outer end of your eye.
- Try to use nude eyeliner on the inner side of your eyes to get that broader look.
Steps To Apply Eyeshadow For Large Eyes:
If you are a woman with large eyes, then the primary goal of applying eyeshadow is to make them look smaller. This can be done using matte eyeshadow and dark eyeshadow colors. So, here are the steps to follow for how to apply eyeshadow for large eyes.
- First of all, you have to use dark waterproof eyeliner on the upper and bottom waterline.
- Then, use a medium or medium to dark eyeshadow to the eyelid as the base.
- After this, apply dark eyeliner on both upper and bottom lash lines. Make sure to apply a thinner line on the inner part of the lashline, and apply a thicker line on the outer part of the lashline.
- Make sure to smudge the lashline areas a little. It is required to get a bit smokey effect.
- Now, take a dark eyeshadow of your choice and apply it to the outer corner of the eyelids, focusing on applying this eyeshadow close to the lashline.
- Try to blend this dark eyeshadow from the outer eyelid towards the center of it. If you have round eyes, try to lift and extend the eyeshadow on the outer corner at the angle to get a ‘V’ shape. It can be done by blending upward.
- Then, take a little dark shadow and apply it lightly to the lower lashline. Make sure not to go too low.
- If you want to add some highlight to your eyes, apply a light shimmer eyeshadow to the inner corner of your eyes. There must be a small touch only.
Steps To Apply Eyeshadow For Wide-set Eyes
Don’t know if you have wide-set eyes? It is quite simple. If the distance between your both eyes is such that it can easily fit another eye in that space and still there remains more space, then you have wide-set eyes.
If you have wide-set eyes, then the primary goal is to make the inner corners of your eyes appear closer together. Here are tips to follow for how to apply eyeshadow for wide-set eyes.
- You must start with applying base color to your entire eyelid.
- Here, you have to use the darker shades on the inner parts of your eyes instead of focusing on the outer parts. You can use a medium-dark or dark eyeshadow and apply it to the inner half or one-third of the eyelid. Start applying it from the inner corner of your eyes and extend it to the center of your eyelid. Make sure to blend it outward from the center.
- Here, you will use a highlighter and light eyeshadow to the outer of the eyes instead of using them at the inner corner of your eyes. If you want, you can use a shimmer eyeshadow as well. Apply a highlighter and light eyeshadow to the other half and 2/3 of the eyelids. Make sure to blend it perfectly upward towards the brow bone.
Some Make Tips For Wide-set Eyes:
- If you use eyeliner, make sure to put emphasis on making a line in the inner half of the upper lashline and/or bottom lashline. You can also line an inner waterline with dark eyeliner. Another way is to extend it towards the inner edge of the eyes. Make sure to smudge the eyeliner outward a little bit.
- Here, there is no need to extend your eye makeup towards the outer corners of the eyes. So, you must avoid doing outer flicks with the liner. If you still want a flick, make sure to keep it short and must be of a vertical angle.
- When using mascara, you must focus on applying it heavily on the inner lashes close to the tear duct.
Steps To Apply Eyeshadow For Close-set Eyes:
If you have close-set eyes, then the primary goal is to make the inner corners of your eyes appear wider, focusing on moving from lightest to darkest eyeshadow. Here are tips to follow for how to apply eyeshadow for wide-set eyes.
- Take a light eyeshadow and apply it to the inner corners of your eyes and extend it towards the center of the eyelid. You can also use shimmery eyeshadow.
- Then, you have to use a highlighter or light shade of eyeshadow around the tear duct.
- Now, move from the light to medium shade of eyeshadow around the center of the eyelid and blend it outward.
- In the last, take a dark shade and apply it, focusing on the outer one-third of the eyes. Then, extend the eyeshadow a little bit outward than normal.
Some Make Tips For Close-set Eyes:
- When you have close-set eyes, apply eyeliner to the outer three-fourth or half of the upper lashline.
- To use eyeliner on the bottom lashline, make sure not to apply it to the inner part of your eyes.
- Apply the heaviest mascara to the outermost eyelashes and thinnest on the inner lashes
Now, you are finished applying eyeshadow on different types of eyes with your favorite shades of eyeshadow. Once you learn the steps and tips of how to apply eyeshadow like a pro, you can easily get through finishing your style.
You must keep on playing with different shades and textures of eyeshadow for the perfect eye makeup. When it comes to beautifying your eyes, indulge in your creative side.